Monday, February 8, 2010

The Big Burlap Pendant


The big burlap pendant is finally hung up!

I saw this burlap pendant originally in the Anthropologie catalog, but ended up getting it on Ebay for half price over a year ago. I felt I had made a mistake. Mr. A wasn't sure about it and the whole thing needed to be rewired.

Then, two weeks ago, we saw two of these hanging at Restoration Hardware in Corte Madera. They looked so cool! Finally, Mr. A agreed that it would look good hanging over the center island afterall. It has been sitting on the floor for a year and a half waiting . . .

Waiting for our friend Richard to risk his life to hang it! What a job!
The ceiling in this room is maybe 14 or 15 feet high at the center. So first the ceiling fan had to go. It was like a three act play! Two ladders, two flashlights and four people to get the job done.

This is really not a way to treat our guests--having them hang light fixtures!

We had fun though! Everybody had a job. Maureen and I held the flashlights, Mr. A cooked dinner and Richard did all the work!

Because the fixture was made in Poland, it had to be rewired. It had aluminum wiring instead of copper. Not good. Also, a rope concealed the wiring and that was tricky to duplicate. The rope had to be the exact length, so measuring was key.

Our calculations proved correct because the length was perfect. Notice the pull string inside, which is easily reached.

I'm loving how this light fixture warmed up the kitchen.
Thank you Richard for going through all that trouble to re-wire it, wrap rope around the wire and risk your life on a 12 foot ladder to hang it!

The final result! This was the best birthday present ever!

The next morning with the sun streaming in creating a lovely tabletop vignette with the pendant overlooking.

Besides being thrilled to finally get my pendant hung, it was also such a great birthday weekend spent with our dear friends. We shopped, antiqued, ate at lovely restaurants in Healdsburg and even made it to the Alameda Antique Faire on Sunday!

I'm linking up to Barb at Grits and Glamour for Tabletop Tuesday. Be sure to see the other participants who have vignettes of their tables, cabinets and mantles.

Pin It!

39 comments:

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

That looks AMAZING! Great job to all!

Stacey said...

That looks great! You knew it would work and you were right. :)

Unknown said...

That looks great. I like how it highlights your counter top.

KD said...

Oh it is wonderful! You kitchen is wonderful too!

Jeanette said...

What a great job you did!

Marigene said...

Gorgeous pendant...it looks huge!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Oh, I love your pretty pendant light! At first I didn't realize how big it was! It looks fantastic hanging over your pretty counter. Oh, your home is so beautiful!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Wendy said...

Wow! This is beautiful and what great pictures!
I can see how it made you smile in the mornig with the sun shining in! Smiles :)
Wendy

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

So incredibly beautiful! Love it!

Unknown said...

Wonderful find and a beautiful kitchen.
Sandy

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

What a fabulous fixture - I adore it!

:)
ButterYum

Gypsy Heart said...

Looks wonderful! Your kitchen is just great ~ looks very large.

Kathysue said...

It sounds as if you had a fun and full weekend. Did you find any treasures in Alameda? It was such a gorgeous day to be outside. Love the burlap light fixture. I can only imagine how wonderfully it looks in person. I find if something looks good in a photo it looks twice as good in person. So Happy B to you!! Kathysue

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love that big burlap pendant. How great to get that hung. Happy Birthday!

French-Kissed said...

Love the warmth and texture this fixture adds...and it is not something we have seen over and over again. Your instincts were right on...it looks fantastic. ~jermaine~

Lori E said...

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?
Nice you had help to work on it too.

Lynn said...

That burlap pendant is just perfect for your kitchen. You always knew it would be, right, so the wait was well worth it, I am sure. Looking at your sidebar, your home is stunning. Will have to come back again and view more photos.
Lynn

Fabulously French said...

It looks gorgeous.

Leeann

Allie and Pattie said...

I LOVE this!! The perfect accent! I'm actually going to show this to a client of mine who's shopping for lighting-I think this is wonderful!!
xoxo Pattie

Anonymous said...

Very cool, I like it...Diana

Susan said...

This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVE it!! You're kitchen now has a one of a kind, unique, but beautiful look. Congratulations and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

The-Countrypolitan said...

I love the scale and hand crafted quality of the shade... looks great!

The Claunch Family said...

I love that, looks great!

Maggie said...

It looks stunning and the vignette beneath doubly so. Love your style of decorating, you certainly have an eye.
Glad you have fun on your birthday.
~Maggie~

Kelley said...

I love your new light...really great. Looks perfect on that room!

kelley

savvycityfarmer said...

lady, you should run for president ... AND then incorporate all of your creativity into running the country ... the world would be a vetter place.

THIS WOULD GET MY VOTE, HANDS DOWN

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I think it looks so cool!!!! 5* as always!

A Runner's Mind said...

Looks Awesome! The kitchen counter vignette looks like a Vermeer painting! P.S. I agree with "Cityfarmer" about running for Pres.....the white house needs some decorating updates! Maybe Michelle Obama should start following your blog for some ideas! (about decorating, not running the country!)

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Darn it...can you take it down and send it to my house? I love it!!!

Angie said...

WOW!!! It is totally fabulous!!!

Char said...

Your lamp is perfect and looks beautiful. I had never seen one like it before and I love it. Just think of all the time it sat waiting for it's home. Now it is appreciated and loved. Some things are just worth waiting for, Char

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

The pendant lamp is the perfect addition to your beautiful kitchen. I enjoyed browsing over your blog! Love your collection of honey pots! They are really cute! Your home and accessories are a delight to see!

Thanks for visiting my blog! :) ~Rhonda

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

That is just perfect over the island! I've got to find one of those butter dishes. So glad you had such a great birthday. laurie

Mary said...

I used to have a custom lampshade business.....but never in my dreams did I think of using burlap, mostly silks. Now I know I'd love to make something like this because of it's informality, slight imperfection and the look of a timeless European kitchen. It looks amazing Delores and, of course, the setting is perfect as you have all the right things going on in this great space.....as always.

Belated happy birthday dear!

muslimah said...

wow that is sooo beautiful! it made the entire room.

Unknown said...

Your instincts were right! That is just perfect for your gorgeous kitchen.
Thanks for sharing. This light must be what, 36 inches in diameter?

Heather at Satisfying Spaces said...

Love the pendant!

clustres said...

Just deeeelightful!

Bunny Jean said...

I what that!

I think it would be great over the dining room table. I had been thinking about a glass or chicken wire cloche.

xoxo Bunny Jean

Related Posts with Thumbnails